My Instagram

Instagram
Mit billede
Most of my life revolve around my study at the moment. I study Textile Design, Handicraft and Communication at ViaDesign in Denmark. Outside of my study I am a Medieval-reenactor and an avid knitter and all-over DIY'er :)

søndag den 24. januar 2016

Tie-Dye Skirt


Hello World!

Today I'll share with you how I made a Tie-dyed full skirt.


First off, I made a sketch of how I wanted the pattern of the tie-dye.
I drew a sketch of only one part of the skirt, since the other is to be exactly the same.

 
I made a pattern and cut it. 
The lower edge of the skirt is stitched as a rolled hem and the waist and backseam is stitched with an overlocker 


The individual sections are folded and pressed with a steamiron. 



When the sections are pressed and folded, they need to be stitched with overcast stitches, in a heavy-duty thread. If possible fold the folds once more, and make the stiches as tight as possible. 


For the actual dying I'm not going to go into details. I used Procion dyed, but there are so many different products, so If you want to try tie-dying yourself, find whatever is avaiable to you. 


Rinsing the dye from the fabric is a very long process and takes a lot of water. And patience. 


When you have rinsed most of the dye from the fabric, slit open the stitching, and it will be revealed if you have been succesful. 


From here on it will take some time to rinse out the last of the dye and remove all the cut thread. while rinsing I used some drops of Reductol to help set the dye even firmer into the fabric. Now let the fabric dry. 



Here you see the (almost) finished skirt. It needs a waistband, to really finish it off, but at this point I am satisfied with the result. 




Thank you for reading! 

~ Line 













Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar