My Instagram

Instagram
Mit billede
Most of my life revolve around my study at the moment. I study Textile Design, Handicraft and Communication at ViaDesign in Denmark. Outside of my study I am a Medieval-reenactor and an avid knitter and all-over DIY'er :)

onsdag den 13. januar 2016

Draping the Ruffles

- If you havn't already, go check out my Instagram, link is at the top of my page, where I update with snapshots from my textile-Life. -  



This week I have dvelved back into the art of draping textiles, manipulating simple pieces of fabric into eleborate designs. I've always had a kind of Love/Hate relationship with frilly ruffled dresses, meaning, that I think they look cute and pretty, but I've never had the courage to try sewing anything frilly, myself.

So for this lesson I gave myself a challenge: Make LOTS of ruffles!

First I started with a Victorian-esque skirt, with three layers. This ruffle was made with the tacking thread running near to the fabrics edge.



Moving on I tried making a sleeve. This ruffle was made with the tacking thread running in the middle of the fabric. When using tacking thread for ruffles I have learned the ruffles turn out more even, if you make two seperate seams right next to eachother. 



After these two experiments, I moved right along to combining the two in a high-falutin puffy sleeve, with four layers. First layers was a simple ruffle layer with the tacking thread running along the edge, and the second layer was the ruffle with the tacking thread running through the center as you can see in picture 1. In picture two you can see how the second layer helps to lift the upper layers of the sleeve, this is alltogether visible in picture 3 and 4. 



Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3



Picture 4


I made two of these sleeves, and added a little "bondage-y" top- straps. 





Inbetween ruffling fabrics, I also had a go at draping a skirt with the "Waterfall"-techninque. This you can see in the two deep swoops on the front of the skirt below. Also I made a little detail in the front center  of the skirt, known as a box-pleat.




I have had so much fun freestyling and draping away, and as I continue my lessons, I hope to have more blogmaterial soon.


- Have a Lovely day!

Line



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar